THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT

2003 Buick Century

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 620000 miles

I am trying to get the process to remove and change the thermostat on my 2003 Buick Century. The car is not overheating at this point but the heater only blows cold air until the car heats up for an extended period of time.
Santry05

There were several different V-6 engines available in your model year Buick so exact location of your thermostat can not be identified. The basics are all the same on most engines however. There is a large hose from the top of the radiator that conects to the thermostat housing. This housing is usually at the back (drivers side) of most front wheel drive engines. The housing will be aluminum and have two bolts going into the engine. It will be less messy if you drain some of the coolant from the cooling system before you remove the hose going to the thermostat housing. Under the front of the car (usually closer to the passenger side) will be a drain to allow you to let some coolant out of the radiator into a bucket. Remove the hose clamp at the thermostat housing by pinching the tabs and sliding it up the hose a few inches. Now you can wiggle the hose off the aluminum housing. Remove the two bolts holding the housing and remove it. Now you can see and remove the thermostat. Replace items in reverse order making sure the area where the thermostat is housed is free of debris. Top off your radiator with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and you are good to go. Check that there is also coolant in the overflow bottle.

Your car can not make heat until the water inside the engine heats up. Your heater (core) is like a small radiator that has hot water flowing through it and air passing over it gets heated up for your comfort.

Dlobi