EGR VALVE

2002 Buick Century

2002 Buick Century 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 128000 miles

i have had this car for 1 year. Started getting bad fuel mileage. Changed plugs and wires didnt help just kept getting worse and started haveing hessitation when accelerating. Only does this after you drive amile or two when engine warms up. Unplugged egr valve drove 50 miles car ran like anew car. Plugged egr back up same problem again. Put on another egr valve made no difference. What next.

thanks charles
Charles546

Has it been scanned for trouble codes?

Scotty Dee
Yes scanned it had no codes. It only does it once it warms up. When cold runs perfect.

Thanks charles

Charles546
Are you sure? When you unplugged the EGR a code would have been set. There could be an EGR cricuit issue, but with no codes.

Scotty Dee
Yes it had acode after I unplugged it but cleared code and plugged back up.

Charles546
Did you go ahead and clean the EGR valve while it was off?

Scotty Dee
Yes I sprayed real good with electronic cleaner but it really didnt have carbon buildup on it. Donnt understand the vote proceder

Charles546
Did the pintle seem to have good spring to it? I'm sorry, give feedback casts votes.

Scotty Dee
At this point I would want to drive the vehicle with a scan tool connected and read the live PID data, and see how the EGR valve if functioning in different speed and rpm ranges.

Scotty Dee
Have you ever had the upper air intake and the lower fuel induction cleaned, and a new fuel filter?

Scotty Dee
No havent cleaned fuel system. When some of this snow melts iam going to unplig each sensor one at a time and see what that does.I am not a mechanic but if it runs great with egr unplugged doesnt seem like there is a problem with injectors or filter but you do this for a living so you should know. I am just lost on this.

Charles546