FRONT AXLE LEAK REPAIR

2001 Buick Century

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2001 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Car has front axle taken apart to replace seal and apparently it was discovered that some kind of needle bearings were worn out and was informed that this would affect transmission operation. Is this a valid problem and if so could you give a detailed explanation. Thanks.
Baileyrt

Hi: DId they name the bearing that was bad?

I believe they mentioned a Torrington bearing.
The car was working great, no tranny sounds, fluid leaks etc. Apparently, the bearing damage caused the axle seal to leak.

Baileyrt
Hi:
Torrington is a brand, but I feel that you are refering to the axle bearing that is located in the hub assembly. I looked up the assembly for you to see. Also, there is a price with it to help you determine how you're being treated.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

This is where the ballbearing is located. Yes, if it is bad, it could cause seal problems at the transaxle where the axle goes in. However, you said there was no problem with the trans (no sounds, vibrations...). If the axle seal was leaking, I feel you would have seen trans fluid leaking to some extent.

Good luck. If you have other questions, let me know.