REPAIRING HOOD LATCH CABLE

1992 Buick Century

1992 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 66000 miles

My hood latch cable doesn't work and the wire inside the car came off the plastic handle. Before the wire came off the handle the latch would work a little but then it wouldn't go over far enough to unlatch the hood
Acer516

1. Get a new cable. Probably this requires a trip to the dealer rather than your local parts store.

2. Remove the front grille. Torx fasteners are inside the corners.

3. You should now be able to reach in and pull the latch lever to open the hood. Remove the old cable.

4. Remove the clip on the end of the latch lever to install the end of the new cable. This was the tricky part, as I recall. Route the new cable to the firewall and through it. There should be a rubber plug-in thingie for the hole.

5. Inside the car, fish the other end of the cable through its guide and slip it into the slot on the back of the latch handle.

Checking again, I see Advance Auto does have one for $35. It has the handle attached, so maybe you need to install the cable sleeve first inside the engine compartment and then the cable through it from the inside. I just don't remember for sure.

Jalopypapa
Thanks for the reply jalopypapa I will order one.I can pull the cable from inside the car for now to open the hood.The hose problem I had before is fixed and no more leaks, also had a serpintine belt installed yesterday along with new drums and rear shoes and rear cylinders.Cost $513 is that about right?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/120627_my_car_1.jpg

Acer516
Oh, hi, Acer; I didn't notice that was you. Not sure about what's a reasonable charge for rear brakes and a belt. The belt itself costs more than you'd expect although the labor is minimal. There's a good bit of labor in a complete rear brake job with cylinders, though, and if you got new drums, I imagine they're not cheap (the shoes and especially cylinders shouldn't cost much, though). So, yeah, I figure $500 sounds OK.

Jalopypapa
Thanks for the reply jalopypapa next I want to replace front rotors then my brakes will all be new I may tackle that one myself I saw a vid on that and did it once myself on another car the rotors were replaced 3 yrs ago but the driver side rotor altho new was warped had it turned right away but still get pulsating in front was going to have it done this time but decided to wait due to expense pocket the mechanic said to replace em both but said the pads are good. Nice chatting with ya again

Acer516
Ought to be a stroll in the park for you after fixing that broken-off water neck.

Jalopypapa