SQUEEKING BELT NOISE

2004 BMW 745

Noises problem
2004 BMW 745 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99,000 miles

I don't know what belt is making this loud sqeeking noise but I need to do something about it.

The screetching noise only begins after I've been driving the car for about 15 -30 minutes and it goes away whenever I press the accelator. The noise also occures If the car is parked and idling. However it does go away again when I press the gas pedal even when parked.

What can this be?

I just want to be able to pull up to a light and not hear a screetching loud belt. Please Help. : -)

Thanks in advance
Amfawaz

Use a water bottle to dribble water onto one belt at a time when the squealing is occurring. The noise will either get worse or go away momentarily. When you identify which belt is responsible, besides the obvious looseness, look for any misaligned pullies by sighting down the belt between any three pullies. If the belt is not tracking directly in-line with the other sections, look for (typically) an idler pulley that is turned a little, usually due to worn bearings, allowing the belt to be misaligned. That causes the belt to slide sideways across the pulley as it goes around it.

I have a feeling one of the pully's is not alligned because this noise only started after I recently had the motor lifted off of it's mounts. Maybe when they set it back they didn't set it back properly.

Amfawaz
Possibly related, but the position of the engine isn't the culprit. It would be related if something got bent or reinstalled crooked. In particular, idler pullies on spring-loaded tensioner arms often twist when their pivots wear out. It is even possible for rust to develop in the pivot. The problem is already there, but the symptom doesn't show up until it is disturbed, such as when changing the belt.

This is kind of hard to explain, but if you sight straight down on the belt where it runs between two pullies, you should not see the same belt peeking out where it runs down lower between other pullies. Service manuals show using a straightedge, such as a yard stick, placed in front of various pullies. The straightedge must touch the belt every place it passes by. If there is a gap, typically of 1/8" or more, the cause should be diagnosed and corrected. That is enough to cause a squeal.

Do not use any type of belt dressing on flat serpentine belts. Once in a while it will quiet them down, but it is never a long-lasting solution. Serpentine belts are also prone to making noise when they get dust or small dirt particles embedded in them, particularly on the smooth backside. Belt dressing makes those particles stick better leading to even more noise in the future.