ENGINE VIBRATION

1998 BMW 740

1998 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 285000 miles

I have a 1998 BMW 740iL with hijgh mileage. The idle is bad causing car to vibrate an it has a rich exhaust smell. Compression test reveals that all cylinders but one( number five is reading 150. But number 5 is reading 75. If this helps, the service engine light stays on constantly in yeloow and the asc/dsc light and abs light is on all the time.

Already replaced spark plugs.
Jt1966

Hi there,

The low compression is a big concern, I would first get a wet comp test done as this swill help determine weather it is rings or calves at fault, also a scan to read the unresolved fault codes.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the quick response and help. Should I be considering an engine rebuild. Or for that matter an engine?

Jt1966
Hi there, I feel that at the mileage you have a top end o/haul will be fraught with danger as this will load up the lower end, I would be considering a full o/haul or a re-co long engine, but a wet comp test will tell us a lot and I would also get the valve clearance checked as a tight valve can cause this as well, best to know exactly what we are looking at first.

Mark

Mhpautos