CAN I TEST THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OUTSIDE THE

1997 BMW 740

1997 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

hello, hope to find the answer about how to test the dash pixle with 12 volts sourse outside the car?
Sulaimansy

I believe you're wasting your time, those clusters had a lot of problems, unless you're at the junkyard and you want to make sure the one that you are purchasing is any good? The easiest way to do that is remove your cluster (if you've not already done it) take your test light turn the key on and find out which pixle gives you 12 V, looking at the instrument cluster circuit I think you're in big trouble, every system has its own power wire for example: 1. Computer datalines system
2. Transmission system
3. Engine control system
4. Antilock brake system
5. Antitheft system
It goes on and on, this is beyond my comprehension, we are going to have to wait until Dr. Hagerty comes on the scene, if he doesn't know nobody knows.

Dr Loot
Thanks for your time, I only need to light its up all the indicator system (instrument cluster) just to see if any pixel dots is missing then repair before attach with car. Thanks again with best regards.

Sulaimansy
Thanks for getting back to me, I understand a little bit better now these are the 2 wire numbers I will send power to the integrated instrument cluster control module they are also wired directly in his box fuse number F-41 splits off and goes to terminals 4 and 10 numbers#18 wire color VIO/GEN or fuse number 43 splits off and goes to terminals 4 and 10 on the cluster wire color VIO/WHT #10 so either one of those should give you power to the pixel dots

Dr Loot
Thanks a lots for your time and for your help, I find the way how to light all the instrument cluster even the pixel dots. And tell me if you need the way I can send you a photo for how to do it, now I have a question about how to repair the pixel dots by (easy way) if possiple or if you have any info about how to fix the pixel dots by pdf or any site could be helpfull. Thanks again.

Sulaimansy