635CSI WON'T START

1986 BMW 635

1986 BMW 635 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

Soon after I purchased the BMW the car would not start, (the next day, 234 hours or so after getting to my house with the car) it made a clicking when I tried to start it which led me to believe the battery was dead.

I thought there might be a problem with the battery so I jumped it and it worked a few times.
Usually after I got it running it would start again easily soon after turning it off, but after leaving it off for 24 hours it would need a jump to start again.

I haven't started the car in a few days and today I tried to jump it again because I am supposed to take it to the shop today. The car wouldn't start which I expected but when I tried to jump-start it, it wouldn't start.

It wasn't just clicking, however; it sounded like it might start at any time, but it simply didn't.

What's wrong with my car?
Please be as thorough as possible as to which part may be malfunctioning and how the car can be returned to working condition again.
Kevin1127kevin

Kevin, replace the battery, or at least test the one you have. If it fails a load test, discard it.

Dr. Hagerty