FRONT END BUSHINGS

2000 BMW 540i

Steering problem
2000 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I'm an original owner of a 2000 540i (M Sport pckg) with 120k miles on it. The front control arm bushings are worn out and the drivers window regulator and cassette player just went out. I've had continual problems with the front brakes. The car has been maintained well but has a long history of parts failures and replacements, here is the bulk of the list:
43k miles - radiator
61k miles - blower final stage resistor
65k miles - water & coolant pumps, coolant level sensor, coolant expansion tank, upper rad hose, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs
77k miles - thermostat, vent pipe, MAF sensor, intake manifold gaskets, cover & gasket, o-rings

I not in a position to do repairs myself and am concerned. What sre the most likely next major failures in the next 30k miles? I'd like to keep the car up to 150k miles but may be better off spending my $$ on a lower mileage car?
Dmsearles

1

Dmsearles
111

Dmsearles
Is there a need for the Doctor here?

Dr. Hagerty
Perhaps you'll have some insights on my E39. It's a 2000 540ia (sprt pckg), auto trans with 120k miles. Above I've detailed my concerns. I either need to spend about $2k on front end, window, etc issues right now or move on to a different vehicle. Basically I'm trying to learn if there is any consistent history of major part or system failures I should take into consideration at this point. I can handle $500-1,000 per year in maintenance and typical repair costs over the next few years but I'm trying to gauge how much risk I'm taking that I end up with much more major issues confronting me. Love the car and hate to dump it. But if there is a high probability that I end up spending $5,000-10,000 over the next few years (30-50k miles), in addition to the $2k now, then I'm considering picking up an '09 335i (sprt pckg) with < 100 miles and 3.25 years warranty left for about $37k. Would much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Dmsearles
I will be concise. My dad always said, " Never form an emotional attachment to a mechanical contrivance" If that 540 has one thing going for it, than it is brand loyalty, however misplaced. The E39 540 is one of the biggest money makers in my world. Window regulators, water pumps, final stages, general modules, brakes, suspension bushings. The list goes on. Your list will be repeated, not because of the lack of engineering skill in the development and design of the car, that is second to none, but because of the quality of parts on the market. China is a major supplier to the after-market and the BMW parts flooding that space are enough to cause trouble for years. I am a master BMW technician, that is my chosen profession, but my wife drives a Hyundai, because I do not want to be fixing the #@$*! Thing every time I turn around. I dont make the news, I just report it.

Dr. Hagerty
Got it, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help.

Dmsearles