CHECK ENGINE SOON

2000 BMW 540i

2000 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 100000 miles

I seem to have lost some of the power and the " Check Engine Light" went on. It also sounds a little different.
Jeugenel

Hello –

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O’Reilly’s (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don’t get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
While generic scanning might be perfectly acceptable for most problems, BMW cars sometimes have faults that generic OBDII scanning equipment will not pick up. If that is the case, repost and I'll be here.

Dr. Hagerty
Hello –

Dr Hagerty is correct as the same problem occurs with Mercedes Benz also. But I figured most folks don’t have the proper scanners anyway and would have to go to the dealer and that would cost more money….……. That is why I ask for the codes and the meaning and it is free……that way I can compare to what our manual says and get us in the ball part anyway……….

Then if we still cannot get in the ball park us moderators work together to assist in solving your problem…….I have contacted Dr Hagerty at times in the past……. He is tops in BMWs so we will do our best.

Will wait to hear from you.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS