NO START

1997 BMW 540i

1997 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual

Customer brought in vehicle, has put a starter on it himself, our shop online shows no help. Starter does not turn. Where do we start? Power to starter, relay? Where? Clutch switch?Could you give me a rundown? There is no power at starter wire with key to start position.
Gallahad

Re-alignment of the EWS to DME might be in order. This operation requires special equipment.

Dr. Hagerty
Do I get somekind of idea of how to do this or is this the only answer?

Gallahad
Modern BMW cars usually require some sort of proprietary software to diagnose and repair, they also require some training to understand the structure of the design elements. What this means is that your shop needs to have special tools and training to repair BMW automobiles. A no start condition in a modern BMW can mean that the drive away protection device called EWS may require realignment to the DME (Digital Motor Electronics) This realignment is done electronically, as is a scan of the vehicle done to see what modules in the car are responding, which have stored faults, and where to start diagnosing. The proprietary BMW equipment is called a GT-1, Autologic makes a pretty good piece of equipment, both are quite expensive, even a cloned GT-1 can be several thousand dollars. This is a large commitment for most shops and is essential for a modern BMW repair facility. I have some connections that you may find useful to get this equipment, and I can help with the training, can we get together?

Dr. Hagerty
I have an updated Modis, but I don't think it does BMW's, Ive been in business 31 years and know all about expensive equipment. You just cant buy every scan tool out there. Let me call you and we may discuss it from there, will that be OK?

Gallahad
Sounds OK to me.

Dr. Hagerty
Did you get my PM, I sent you my cell phone# and haven't yet heard from you.

Dr. Hagerty