BMW 540I COOLANT PROBLEM

1995 BMW 540i

1995 BMW 540i V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135,542 miles

O.K. I have a 1995 BMW 540i, 135,567 miles on it. It really runs good. A few things I'm just curious about because I don't know everything about this car yet, I'm learning a lot from what bmw techs say and from what I've read.

1) I have an oil leak, not real bad, just wondering why no one told me, I had to find out myself. Told me that I had coolant leaking and was about to change the thermostat myself. Felt like sense the radiator is pretty much brand new it's probably leaking in the in-take because I didn't smell or see coolant on the ground. Should I change my thermostat? It's been over 6 years considering the history.
2.)Just got my front struts on and it feel so wonderful, feels like i'm riding on a cloud. The mechanic that did it had to shave somthing off on the passenger side. He said that somthing was beaten up so badly when I was driving on the bad struts that somthing got worped. It is now make some noise like somthing is rubbing against my wheel or roter. It sounds like grass-hoppers rubbing their legs together, especilly when I'm coasting. What is that?
Maldrums

Read the post over and see if it strikes you to tell more about the oil leak. Replace parts on your own car? Go for it, just be prepared for the possibility of the outcome. If you want to practice on your daily driver and you lack classical mechanical ability, you might be sorry. Just my opinion.

Dr. Hagerty