OVERHEATING

1991 BMW 535i

Engine Cooling problem
1991 BMW 535i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I recently purchased a 1991 BMW 535i. The other day the temperature gauge on the dash hit the red, the coolant warning came on and the engine began smoking. Overheating. I had only been driving for about 10 minutes when this happened. I pulled over, let the car cool for a bit and added some anti-freeze. The gauge returned to the center, the light and warning went out, and I headed home. After a few minutes, the gauge started moving back to the red, the warning came back on, and it smoked once again. The next morning I'm driving my kids to school. Same thing, Only this time the engine started to make a rattling noise. When I lifted the hood, the smoke was coming from the front of the car as well (near the radiator and thermometor). Please help.
Awalsh71

The cooling system has an air bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing, try filling the system when cool and open the bleed screw until coolant runs out, close the screw and continue to fill until full. Start it up and see if it is ok, M-30 motors are pretty robust and can take some abuse, check the oil to see if it is ok too.

Dr. Hagerty