BMW 535I WINDOW PROBLEM

1989 BMW 535i

1989 BMW 535i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 220000 miles

while I put up driver side power window, the fuse always blows at the same window position. I was able to replace the fuse once and it worked ok, now as soon as the fuse makes contact with the terminal it blows. Also central locking is out, wipers only work on high speed. I am lost, please help.
Ckc69

This might be beyond your ability to repair unless you have a fairly solid grasp of electronics and tools, not to mention your way around a BMW car. If this is the case, seek out a local professional. If not let me know and we will begin with some basic stuff and see if it can be repaired.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you for your reply. I know since I got the car a couple of weeks ago, that the drivers side key switch must be defective since I have to fidle with it to open the automatic locking system. The window is down enough to where I cant get to the drivers door handle switch or window limit switch. I am retired and on a limited income and cant afford to take it to a repair specialist, so please help me figure this out or where to start.
Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer me.

Ckc69
Ok, here we go. Inside the drivers door there are switches that cam off the lock assembly and if there are issues, I would start there. Also inspect the wiring harness. The purchase of a 1989 bmw on a limited income is possibly going to test your mettle, be prepared. The central locking and wipers and windows are all affiliated with the modules under the rear seat, left side. If the relay or general module has " tin whiskers" on the circuit board, they can be the cause of the issue. Expose them and see if they can be jiggled or tapped back to life.

Dr. Hagerty
Well I think that I found the problem myself, there are two connectors in the driver's door. One is blue and the other yellow, I disconnected the yellow one. Put in a new fuse, and it didn't blow. But now since my window is only three quarters up on driver's side, when I push the drivers side window switch I can hear the motor getting juice, not going up or down could it be one of the gears or is it the window limiter switch?

Ckc69
Very possibly the motor itself. Good work mate.

Dr. Hagerty