CAR WONT START

BMW 535

I have a 1988 535i BMW that I bough 2 days a go from a guy who parked it 6 months ago. It has a a 3.5 L V6 I do believe. My question is the car will turn over but will not start. I can smell gas while trying to start the car. I also notice if I press the gas pedal to the floor, there is a switch or button not sure what you would call it but it sticks out of the floor by like 2 inches, and if I press the gas pedal all the way down and the switch it pressed and then with the pedal still all the way down and the switch being pressed I try to start the engine it makes a pop noise and this cloud of smoke comes out of where the air box hooks up the engine and it smells strong off gas. Im guessing if I smell gas my fuel pumps arnt bad. Sometimes when trying to get it to start it ends with a tump noise. Any ideas of what the problem could be?
Gisloc

You will need spark at the correct time, fuel, and compression to run.
Sounds like it is not getting spark.
Check for spark at each cylinder.

Dr. Hagerty
Thank You.I pulled my spark plugs yesterday before I read the answer to my question and they look pretty much fryed. I'm not sure when I will get the chance to get new ones seeing I work all this week and the car is a project at the moment.(Well it will be my first car if I can get it to run).I'll post back if that wasnt the problem

Gisloc
Also, please inspect the wires, cap, and rotor.

Dr. Hagerty
Okay I put new plugs in and I have spark.I plan on putting some fresh gas in the car tonight since its been sitting for 6 months. If the gas and the spark isnt the problem, then what is.

Gisloc
I was getting spark but I think not engough because I rplaced the rotor and the car started and runs fine minus the hole in the exhaust

Gisloc
Always listen to the Doctor

Dr. Hagerty