EXHAUST SYSTEM

1987 BMW 535

1987 BMW 535 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79000 miles

Will driving my car with an exhaust leak burn the valves? It is a new exhaust system.
Leah Hinds

An exhaust leak is an irritation to be sure and there is a concern if the exhaust leak is at the cylinder head to manifold interface. I would think the valves will not be compromised but the issue should be resolved as soon as possible to protect against exhaust gases entering the passenger compartment. If I can help you more with this issue please be in touch.

Dr. Hagerty
The leak is where the back half of the exhaust system bolts to the front half - not at the cylinder head.

Leah Hinds
That will possibly require replacement of the donut gasket and will not adversely affect the valves directly, but I would get it attended to promptly. Is the catalytic converter intact and is it original equipment, they have been known to crack with age.

Dr. Hagerty
Everything is totally new. My husband and I replaced it ourselves and he works on our vehicles all the time. He has been a BMW mechanic before. I just want to take a trip next week and take that car and he said it will damage the valves if I drive it that far with the exhaust leak. I think he just doesn't want me to travel to where I am going.

Leah Hinds
So you are looking for someone to support your position? I do not wish to over ride your built-in mechanic on this issue, if he says it is going to burn the valves then perhaps we can find some way to get this issue resolved so the ends don't get played against the middle, so to speak. I hope you can see the point I am trying to make.

Dr. Hagerty