CAR WONT START

2000 BMW 530

2000 BMW 530 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

Hi, I went to the supermarket and all was fine then when I got back to the car the battery was completely dead. I jumped it off then charged the battery back at home but then I could not start the car even with jump leads.

I thought the battery was duff (and it was) so replaced it but the car still will not start - it turns over and tries to start but it just will not fire. All other electrics seem to be ok and fuel is being supplied from the pump.

Would the flat battery have tripped something out that I cannot see? E.G do I need to reset anything on the computer or do you think there is something else wrong - it seems too much of a coincidence that the battery went flat and suddenly I cannot start the car.

Any help appreciated.
Jwetherill

Try doing below and see what happens

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

Fuel pump/Pressure Regulator and Injector/s checks out-start checking the ignition system-power to coil, coil/s itself, distributor pick-up, control module, Cam and Crankshaft sensors.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time

If you " jump" started the car, you might have done some electrical damage. The electronic modules are extremely sensitive and do not take well to large voltage excursions. The car is readable for faults stored in the power train modules, seek out a local dealer or independent BMW shop and have the car scanned for faults. And don't jump start a BMW, OK?

Dr. Hagerty
Thanks, I will try the suggestions and I won't jump start again.

Jwetherill
I thank you and your car will thank you.

Dr. Hagerty
Hi,

Fuel and spark are present.

Jwetherill
Please explain how you determined this.

Dr. Hagerty
Hi,

I removed the spark plug leads one by one and ground it to the engine bay which sparked.

The fuel - I undid the small bleed screw near the injectors whilst someone cranked the engine and pushed the nipple down and it sprayed out, when the engine was not cranking it did not spray out so I presume it must be suppying the fuel - is this a correct assumption (My experience is limited).

Thanks for your replies

Jwetherill
OK it is getting spark but are the fuel injectors getting a pulse to open and inject the fuel? Put a noid light on the electrical connector at an injector and see if it lights when you crank it over. Also check the fuel pressure.

Dr. Hagerty
Hi,

I did not try the noid light, instead I decided to get a local garage to put it on their diagnostics, they say that there are no error codes coming back and they are stumped as to what the problem might be.

All they can suggest is that I take it to BMW.

Jwetherill