ENGINE WON'T CRANK

1988 BMW 528

1988 BMW 528 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 300K+ miles

Battery was not powering the starter, (eg. Click, click, click) so I replaced it with a new one. Once installed, I turned the key to start the car, and heard the dreaded (ie. Once click) bad starter noise. I removed the starter, took it to the auto parts store, where they confirmed that it was old and needed to be replaced.

After installing the new starter, and reconnecting the new battery, I attempted to start the car. Now, I get nothing. No click. No cranking whatsoever.

I am not a beginner with things like this, and yes, everthing went back in as it came out. That said, I've had six BMW's, currently have two, and I've rebuilt the top half of this particular one. Nonetheless, this has me completely stumped.

Please let me know what I might be overlooking.

Thank you in advance.
Kevin
Kevand_208

No crank at all/nothing/nada: Could be the starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

If the re-manufacturer was Bosch, I would bench test it before installation. I have had them be bad right out of the box, open em up and look inside and all they did was clean it up and re box it.

Dr. Hagerty