REPLACE BRAKE LIGHT BULBS - 328I

1999 BMW 328

1999 BMW 328 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

My son's rear brake lights(left and right, not the center one) are not working. I checked the fuse and it is ok. I went to check the bulbs by looking in the turnk area but cannot figure out how to get at the bulbs. There is a big black plastic cover that I cannot seem to take off. Any suggestions?

Frank
Falvarez

Is it an E-36 or an E-46? The plastic cover has either a snap or a quick turn, I cant tell from cyberspace. Also inspect for possible wiring damage at the trunk lid wiring feed harness, it is a source for issues in lighting and trunk access.

Dr. Hagerty
Dr. Hagerty,

Thank you Dr. Hagerty for answering me so quickly. It is an E46. The only thing I noticed are some small and 2 large black snaps similar to what BMW uses to secure the liner under the hood. Not sure if that helps any. I tried removing a few of them but the plastic cover did not appear to become loose.

Frank

Falvarez