FAILURE

1998 BMW 328

Air Conditioning problem
1998 BMW 328 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

The a/c controller will just turn on and off at random intervals. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern. Sometimes it comes on for a little while when I first start the car but then goes dark. Other times it won't come on at first but will flicker in and out as I am driving around. Once it comes on, the button lights will stay on even when it shuts off, but the screen goes dark. When it comes on everything, a/c, heat, rear defogger all work fine. Sometimes cold air even comes through when it's off, but only when I'm moving. I've been told it could be that the controller unit has just gone bad and needs to be replaced, but it's also been suggested that it could be a ground wire issue. Any suggestions?
Pigflight

There is a guy that does the repair of the climate control modules on the internet, Google BMW climate controls. He gets about 75 bucks for a rebuilt unit and he will want your old one. Sorry if this is a pain. I am in the process of moving and cannot get to my computer at this time.

Dr. Hagerty