LIMP MODE

1996 BMW 328

1996 BMW 328 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

My bmw has an A/M switch which is automatic and manual. When I reverse the car is fine, when I put it in drive the car goes into limp mode. I have seen that a lot of people had a bad O2 sensor. I received a code and it said it was the speed sensors but a mechanic told me that wouldn't make my check engine light come on. I have also been told it is the camshaft or crankshaft speed sensor. Any ideas?
Mdy030783

First of all, if you want the correct answer, ask the right person. The check engine light can be commanded on by emissions related items as well as the power train componants. There is a bulletin from BMW about this and involves replacement of the " chip" that is inside the EGS module. If there are faults set, they will be in the memory and can be read out with the BMW software. The VIN would also help with this diagnostic, please repost with these data.

Dr. Hagerty