WINDSHIELD WIPER...

BMW 323

Hello, I have a 1999 323i Sedan 6 cylinder, 125k miles

When I turn off my windshield wipers, they dont return to their original position, rather they stay halfway up.

How can I reset/fix this problem?
IsaisFrank

What have you done so far?
Could be an internal wiper motor issue.
When did this start?

Dr. Hagerty
1995 BMW 325i, 150,000 miles, 6 cylinder. When my wipers are turned off their rest position is about 8" above the bottom of the windshield. I thought I could loosen and lower the arms, but this of course, lowers their down stroke and casues them to get stuck below the hoodline. With the car off, I can push the wipers down to the bottom of the windshield, but as soon as I turn the ignition, the wipers come to life and return to this high position. I have gotten use to it, but it urks me because I'm sure it's not suppose to be this way. : X

Asvaldez
Go to the wiper motor and loosen the nut that retains the crank arm, the crank arm sits on a tapered and splined shaft, remove the crank arm. Then operate the motor until the " park" position is achieved.(The position the wiper motor sits in when the wipers are off and the arms are in their lowest position) then with the wiper arms in their lowest position and the wiper motor in the " park" position, reattach the crank arm and tighten the retaining nut to about 8 foot/pounds. If you have a problem, send me a PM and we will see what is next.

Dr. Hagerty