HOW DO YOU REPLACE A BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

BMW 318

Hi everyone...

I have a 1998 BMW 318, 4 door sedan, 4 cylinder, at 120,000 miles.

The brake light don't come on. One day it didn't come on, and the next it did for a few days, and now it does not come on again.

Bulbs are good, the rest of the lights are good...Assuming it is the brake light switch.

Where exactly is the switch by the peddle? How do I get to it?

Thanks, Michelle

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/117379_web__three_quarter_crop_Face_1.jpg

Islandgirl135

The brake light switch is just above the brake pedal. Remove the Phillips screws from the under dash and the 10mm knee bolster retaining bolts to gain access. The 318 model should be part # 61-31-8-360-420 for the switch if it has two pins on the electrical connector, if it has four pins the part # is 61-31-8-360-417. Pull back the red sleeve on the new switch to install. I usually break the old ones getting them out.

Dr. Hagerty
Thanks for the advice.

I will go check it out today.

When you mention " under the dash", I am assuming you mean the bottom of the dash where the brake and gas pedals come out from.

Thanks again, Michelle

Islandgirl135
That is correct and let me know how it turns out.

Dr. Hagerty
Thanks for the time, for your advice.

I do have it changed. Yeah!

Only thing is the brake light that is by the back window doesn't go on. But I know it is probably the bulb since all the other brake lights work.

Thanks again, Michelle *smile*

Islandgirl135