ENGINE VIBRATION

1999 BMW 318

1999 BMW 318 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 20K KM miles

Some time engine start vibrating and cause sudden stop. Just change the air hose pipes and clean the air duct but problem still persist.
SunnyDXB

Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes are present?

Dr. Hagerty
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Well there is no warning code on the dash board at all but when its start vibrating all lights turn on/off quickly and RPM meter also up/down and finaly car stops.

SunnyDXB
I had the same problem on my 318 it was dirty battery cables or loose connection, try that.

Dr Loot
I checked the battery cables and points, its all ok

SunnyDXB
Make sure you check your ground straps from the oil pan to the frame, also check your starter connections, you have a loose connection somewhere.

Dr Loot
Starter plugs connections are ok, rest of the things I will check and come back to you ASAP.

SunnyDXB
Meanwhile I will sleep on it and see what comes to me in the morning

Dr Loot
Have a nice dreams : -)

SunnyDXB
I Have been reading happen your posts, I am without sufficient information of the cars history, so let's start over again, tell me everything you have done to the car, and who has been working on it, all the parts that you have replaced, how long you had the car, When did the problem occur and what you did to correct it, has the vehicle been sitting for a long period of time ect.

Here are a list of diagnostic procedures, if you need to know how to do them let me know, I will step you through them.

ENGINE RUNS ROUGH (OFF IDLE)
Fouled spark plugs.
Burned or sticking valve.
Ignition system malfunction.
Intake manifold air leak.
Fuel injector not operating.
DME/Motronic control unit malfunction.
Blown head gasket.

ROUGH OR UNSTABLE IDLE
Fouled spark plugs.
Burned or sticking valves.
Intake manifold air leak.
Incorrect valve timing.
Ignition system malfunction.
Fuel injector not operating.
DME/Motronic control unit malfunction.
Blown head gasket.

LOSS OF POWER
Insufficient fuel pressure.
Restricted fuel filter.
Restricted air filter.
Ensure engine compression is okay.
Ignition system malfunction.
Burned or sticking valves.
Restricted exhaust system.
DME/Motronic control unit malfunction.
Incorrect valve timing.

Dr Loot
Hi Dr.
I have this care for last three years, during this time I just had normal maintenance work (e.G. Break pad, engine oil, fuel pump etc) and its all done by my car mechanic. The problem comes 7-8 months ago and increase gradually, yes vehicle was parked for about 60 days as I go abroad on project.
My problem exactly fits under " ROUGH OR UNSTABLE IDLE". My car mechanic told me it might be air sensor problem (even he is not sure). Can to tell me, how I can verify the point you mention in ROUGH OR UNSTABLE IDLE category. I am IT Specialist living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

SunnyDXB
Page 1 of 2