CANT REMOVE TOP BOLT FOR CONTROL ARMS

2001 Audi Allroad

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2001 Audi Allroad 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

I am trying to replace the right side axle assembly and I am having no luck trying to remove the top pivot point control bolt ( this is where the to control arms pivot and connect to the arm that extends down and holds the wheel bearing and brake) I have removed the nut on the end and the manuel doesnt give any special instructions on removing this bolt. I have used a numatic chisel and tried to push it out, I can turn the bolt and it will not screw out. I have also tried prying it out and no luck. How do I get this bolt out?
Jackfrost777

Hi jackfrost777,

Which bolt are you referring to?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FrtSuspensionA6AllRoad01Fig01a_1.jpg

The bolt that #1 and #2 arms on your diagram where the arms pivot and the arm bushings pivot or travel up and down

Jackfrost777
I need to according to the repair manuel, to remove the front axle assembly I have to take this bolt out to swing the arm in which holds the wheel bearing and disc and break out of the way to remove the axle. On your diagram the #1 and #2 arms have bushings that are on the outside of the arm and connect to the arm that goes down to the wheel bearing. At that point there is a bolt that the bushings pivot on and that is the bolt I cant take out to get the axle assembly out.

Jackfrost777
Do you mean bolt and nut # 2 in diagram?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_FrtSuspensionA6AllRoad01Fig09_1.jpg

After removing the nut, you should be able to remove the bolt but at times there are some pressure on the bolt so it would not be easy to get it out.

Reinstall then nut but do not tighten, leave a few threads for the bolt to travel and use a mallet to tap the nut. Some WD-40 on the bolt helps.

Using a jack to support the knuckle assy slightly would reduce the stress on the bolt to allow easier rmoval.

Yes this is the bolt I have been having problems with, I have tried all of your suggestions already, I am supporting the wheel bearing assembly arm. I have used penetrating oil and even tried tapping it out as well as pressing it out with a c clamp and used an air chissel. I have also tried prying from the bolt head side as well. Is there any other options other than cutting off the bolt head and trying to press it the other way and or drilling it out. Also is there any dangers if I have to drill the bilt out.

Jackfrost777
Stubborn bolts are never nice to work with.

Even if you cut off the bolt head, you might still be stuck with the bolt not coming out.

With rust penetrant and the impact wrench on one side, use mallet to tap the other while turning the bolt. It might take quite some time beore it loosens up sufficiently to be removed.

Drilling it out should not be a problem but ensure you have a replacement available.

The bolt is already spinning pretty easy I can spin it with a 3/8ths rachet and I have tried the malet and spin technique a couple times but not sustain for very long. I am also concerned that if I have to drill it out that I could mess up the bore of the bushings where they pivot and throw of the the camber or something. Any other suggestions

Jackfrost777
If you need a rachert to turn it, there must still be some place that is stuck due to rust which causes the bolt to be expanded. Spray more rust penetrant and keep turning and tapping.

That is the only way iit can come out unless you take out the complete assy and put it under a hydraulic press.

I am sorry I am not able to think of any other way. Heat would help but it might damage bushes and ball joints in surrounding area.