ROUGH STRATING

1971 AMC Javelin

1971 AMC Javelin V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

I restored this car 10 years ago but it has been in storage for the last five. Just got it back up and running but it runs very rough at cold start. After a couple of minutes it revs up and run very good. The choke seems to be closing and openning fine. At cold start the choke is closed all the way. Is this correct? To keep the engine running at cold I have to slightly pump the gas or it will die. As soon as it warms it runs fine. No more pumping.
Ddfarm

It sounds like your choke pulloff is not working. There should be a small vacuum motor on the side of your carb and that should open the choke plate very slightly so it doesn't run rough. YOU can pull the air cleaner off and start the car then open the choke slightly and you will see your car smooth out. Check to see if the vacuum hose going to the vacuum motor is broken or come off the carb. If it has brokend jsut replace it. The vacuum motor is replaceable as well. It is commonly called a choke pulloff.