98 OUTBACK SPORT TRANSMISSION FLUID IN FRONT DIFFERENTIAL

1998 All Other Makes All Other Models

98 Outback Sport 1.8 engine automatic transmission. The front differential is full of automatic transmission fluid. It has spill out of the dip tube. The auto-transmission dip stick is dry. I assume that a seal let go between the two. Has anyone else had this problem? 163000 miles plus. Thanks John
Aderondacker

The engine is a 2.2 not 1.8 Later John

Aderondacker
The pinion seals have failed. The transmission has to come out, then the differential must be seperated from the transmission. From here the pinion bearings should be inspected. If ok the seals replaced, the transmission put back together and reinstalled. Its a party

Justin
All Wheel Drive Auto

Scubaru
Justin, The leakage between the two can not be great. I drained the oil from the front differential and added 90 weight gear oil and add three qt's dextron to the trany. I have driven the car about 200 miles now and neither transmission nor differential show any signs of oil contamination. Could the problem been cause by hauling a trailer and going down a steep grade using 2nd gear to use the engine to slow the vehicle. Also are there any vacuum lines that they share. I will be taking a 700 mile trip this weekend and that should show something. Thanks for your advice. John

Aderondacker
No I wouldnt expect it to be a big leak it will happen mostly when the trans is under high pressure such as extened trips or severe load situations such as going up hills. The fluid will push past the seal and into the diff.I dont beleive in cures in a bottle but I have found that synthetic fluid does seem to help. But it is pricey if it doesnt work. The synthetic fluid can reduce transmission temperature thus reducing passive pressure.

Justin
all Wheel Drive Auto

Scubaru