97 CONCORDE AC REPAIR

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

I was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this. My AC broke in my car, so I took my 97 Concorde into the shop today, and they said the fan motor assembly had to be repaired, which is as I understand the fans on the radiator. What I don't understand is how are these fans in any way linked to the AC unit. They wanted to charge a pretty hefty fee, which I don't mind paying if I knew a little more about it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting hosed.

Argus12

Are you sure they are talking about the fans on the radiator, or the blower fan motor in the car? If it is the radiator fan, I would say they suspect the freon is not condensing enough when going thru your condensor in front of the radiator. I would think if you radiator fan was giving problems you would have overheating problems in your engine also.

Mikeybdman
Are you sure they are talking about the fans on the radiator, or the blower fan motor in the car? If it is the radiator fan, I would say they suspect the freon is not condensing enough when going thru your condensor in front of the radiator. I would think if you radiator fan was giving problems you would have overheating problems in your engine also.[/Quote]

Well the AC went out, I took it in, and they said the fan motot assembly had to be changed out. The AC still blows out air, just not cold. And yes it is heating up a little above normal. What I don't understand is how is fixing those fans going to help the air in AC going to get cooler.

Argus12
Well the AC went out, I took it in, and they said the fan motot assembly had to be changed out. The AC still blows out air, just not cold. And yes it is heating up a little above normal. What I don't understand is how is fixing those fans going to help the air in AC going to get cooler.[/Quote]

After the freon is compressed it is very warm. So they run this heated freon thru the condensor to cool it down some. After it goes thru the expansion valve and gets really cold, it goes thru the evaporator to cool the air flowing thru to your vents.
Now, if when the heated freon goes thru your condensor, and it is not getting cooled enough, then when it goes thru the expansion valve, it doesnt get as cold. This keeps your air in your vents from getting really cold.

Mikeybdman
A faulty expansion valve will prevent the air from cooling when passing through the condensor. The expansion valve sends a message to the condesor to send a boost of freon which cools the air.

Chrysler300guy