96 STRATUS

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

Did a partial rebuild on my engine: rings, bearings, timing belt, egr valve, intake O2 sensor, head gasket. The intake was full of oil as one of the cylinders blew its rings. I also had to have the cam and crankshaft timing sensors and the pcm replaced. The car runs great but still smokes like a chimney after it gets to operating temp. Could this be partially from the rings not being seated ( it doesn't even have 10 hrs of running on it yet) or could the muffler be full of oil and need to be replaced? There was oil just pouring out of the tail pipe after the motor went initially.
Rdcariveau

Are you sure the piston rings are not backwards cuz if it is it will do the smokey the bear. Could be the oil is burning in the exhaust system-disconnect the exhaust pipe at the exhaust manifold and check again. Rings not seated?

BTW did you check the pistons and cylinders for wear/piston to cylinder clearance.

The cylinder wall sdid not appear to have any wear on them, you could still clearly see the factory honing marks on all of them, But we still honed them again to break the glaze, the pistons were in great shape too. How long should it take for the rings to seat. They are the plated rings and I was told they would take a little longer than the original type that went into the car when it was built.

Rdcariveau