96 MIATA RUNS FINE FOR 2 MINUTES OR SO, THEN IDLES ROUGH

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a 96 Miata and it has 80,000 miles on it. Until this point it has never given me a problem. I stored it for a few weeks this winter and when I went to get it going again, it wouldn't start. I towed it behind a friends car and let out the clutch. This got it going great. It ran fine for two or three minutes then started sputtering. It has no torque and the exhaust smells really rich. I can easily start it now and it always runs great for two minutes or so then it's like a switch is flipped and the problem comes back.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Besamjohn

I would first check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. My next check would be to check the fuel pressure regulator. If the car has 80,000 miles and has never had the fuel filter replaced this could easily be the problem for lack of has to the motor. A faulty fuel regulator could cause a rich fuel condition or a lack of fuel condition. At this point, if not done yet, the timing belt should be replace at 80,000 miles.

Blane