92 CIVIC RATTLES IN LOW GEARS AND REVERSE

1992 All Other Makes All Other Models

My 1992 Civic DX has 125,000 miles. Lately it has been producing a rattling noise, most noticalbly in low gears and in reverse. The sound seems to come from the lower engine compartment. There's a metal box near the undercarriage which seems to create or amplify the noise. Any suggestions?
Snowhobo

What is the metal box? Have you had any exhaust work done lately? OR need some done? Sure it is not any of the heat shields on the exhaust?

Bruce Hunt
Recently, the exhaust was replaced from front to back. I have found out that my radiator is on the verge of needing replacement. Could that be it?

Snowhobo
I doubt that. I suspect that the exhaust heat shield is vibrating. Especially given the new exhaust sytem. They are sensitive and will vibrate at low speeds or idle. Put the car up on ramps and with it running, inspect the exhaust system.

Bruce Hunt