GRAND AM V6 INTERMITENTLY WON'T START

2001 All Other Makes All Other Models

Car normally starts fine, but occasionally after it has been driven it cranks, but won't start. Both times it has happened I trailerer it home and the first time it started a couple of days later the last time it started as soon as I got home. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong.
Wellmap

I've experienced a similar problem just this morning. I tried to start my car, and it's not starting. It sounds like the starter is working fine, but doesn't fire up. I haven't taken it in yet, as it is sitting at home. I am hoping that at least it starts this aft. So I can take it in. Any luck with determining what yours was? My two thoughts are either the starter, or possibly the timing chain.

JasonR
Haven't found anything yet, and it hasn't happened again. I talked to the dealer and they think it may have something to do with the security system. If you find the problem please be sure to post it.

Thanks.

Wellmap
I took it to the dealer this morning. Last night I did some investigating (With a much more car savy friend) and we came up with that it was either the fuel filter or pump because it was cranking but sounded like it wasn't getting the fuel. It still didn't start last night, and then again this morning before I towed it.

The guy from the dealer already called me this morn. He said it is not the pump, but a problem with the ignition.A security issue. Probably what you were saying. Basically, the electrical ignition relay is telling the car that something either is trying to start it without a key. I'm not an electrical eng. But my guess is that it is simply a connection in the ignition that ensures the key is in the ignition. If the connection isn't there, the computer stops the fuel pump from pumping fuel to start it. Hence, the security feature. So. Thankfully. GM has put in place a security feature that apparently causes more harm than good (at least for me) This is frustrating because I work for GM, and this shows why people have lost faith in us!

Anyway, apparently the dealer is telling me the range of around $500 for the fix. Seems steep to me, as they are going to take out the ignition and replace the relays and what not. Who knows though, because there is no good basis to ever tell if they are taking me for a ride or not. My biggest fear is that it continues to happen in the future. At which point, the car is gone. Anyway, hope that helps! Thx.

JasonR
Nice to hear that your dealer was able to find the problem. Keep me posted on the fix if you don't mind.

Wellmap