EXPLORER FRONT END RATTLE

2000 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a clunking/rattling going on sometimes when I go over bumps. It seems like it happens more when going over bumps side to side, not as much as the wheels go up and down. It has 75,000 miles on it and I have brought it to 2 mechanics who say the front end is tight as a drum. Good upper and lower ball joints and new shocks. The latest mechanic said it could be my inner tie rods. Any ideas?
Tntjacques

Shock bushings? Maybe something in the cooling area that's not tight. Vehicle ever been smashed?

Lovescars
No it hasn't

Tntjacques
The inner tie-rods are easy enough to have checked. Have an alignment done by a good repair facility that specializes in FEA's.
You may also want to check your brake calipers for tightness a loose brake pad may cause a noise in the front end or worn cailper mounting hardware.
Worn body mounts can cause the sort of noise you describe.
To check the tie-rods jack the front wheel off the ground 1 at a time and be sure to jack under the lower control arm
(be sure it's heavy duty enough to support the weight of the vehicle) then grab the tire hands at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and try to move the tire in and out to check tie-rods.

Lovescars
There are 3 explorers in my family ranging from 95 to 99 and they all had a clunking noise with a tight front end. New stabilizer bushings cured all three trucks.

Maddison