S10 P/U CLUTCH SLIPS BACKING UP

1999 All Other Makes All Other Models

This is a strange one. On a level parking lot, the shifter actually twists and the engine bogs noticeably when backing up. Forward gears (5 spd) are fine. Actually smoked the clutch 2 nights ago backing out of a level driveway.
Rear brakes are fine, not hanging up. Does not slip in any forward gear. Pedal is normal, and engages all gears from the shifter normally. Will roll backwards in reverse or nuetral, no difference. If left in reverse (for parking), sometimes hard to disengage -
Can anyone help?
Hogheavenfarm

Ok im confused, it will roll in neutral and reverse as long as the clutch is in?

CHEVYII
Yes, it rolls with the clutch engaged in reverse as easily as it does in nuetral (no clutch)- I was trying to see if something was dragging, but apparently there is nothing. Clutch fluid is fine, but looks a little blackish.

Hogheavenfarm
You have a bind somewhere, easy enough I would pull the drive shaft and move it just to see what happens, you can leave it in the transmission and just hang it with a bungie, then put the truck in reverse and try and turn the driveshaft, it should turn, this will atleast isolate which area the problem is in

CHEVYII
Thanks, I will try that, I was looking for a test like this. If I find a bind in reverse, what could that be? Do I need a new transmission? A rebuild?

Hogheavenfarm
Could be lets narrow it down and then we will look for the repair you may need, no sense in worrying about it until we find out what it is

thanks
jim

CHEVYII