QUESTIONS FOR ALL OTHER CARS SPEEDOMETER

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

1997 Questions for all other cars 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 48000 miles

I just replaced a broken speedometer cable in a 1997 Lada Niva. When I went for a test drive, the speedometer needle was jumping around from 5 to 10 mph around my actual speed. I thought maybe the nuts weren't tightened enough, so I tightened both ends a little more. Now, the speedometer spins around when I first start driving and stays pinned at the stop by the backside of 0mph. Any advice? Thanks!
Ladarama

Hi ladarama,

When speedometer cables are installed, curves should be as gentle as possible. When curves are rather acute, they would cause restriction thus the jumping needle. Another thing to do is to pull the cable out and apply some grease to it before installation. Quite often cables comes with minimal grease and this does not provide a smooth turning motion.

At meter end, release the tightening a little and check if a grommet inside is missing. Overtightening can cause the cable to be too tight and seize the needle causing it to overshoot.

Hope the meter has not been damaged as it is spring loaded and overshooting can cause the spring to snap.