GEO METRO HAS NO POWER AND WILL NOT IDLE

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

1997 Geo Metro 1.0 140,000 miles. This car has no power. It will not idle unless I hold the peddle down a little. I can't get it to go over 65mph. If it does idle as soon as I turn on the lights, heater, or wipers ect, anything that will draw power it dies. There is also a pinging when I accelerate or go up an incline. I also have to keep it in each gear longer than I normally would before I shift. I have replaced the upper o2 sensor and the air temperature sensor. Also the spark plugs and cleaned the EGR valve. I replaced the fuel filter 20,000 miles ago. I have also noticed that the air filter is soaked with gas. My gas mileage has dropped dramatically also. I have checked the compression in the cylinders and found they are 150lbs, 125lbs, and 60lbs.
Kevin8378

Sounds like the catyletic converter is plugged. Try loosening the exhaust flange at the exhaust manifold. It will be a little loud, but drive it and see.

Jack42
Just one tooth off and you get those symptoms.

But my bet too is on a clogged cat conv

or even a damaged (crushed) exhaust pipe. Lack of clearance for the intake of air to go out

baught a car like that for $89 once. The owner had drove over a cement parking block. Lol

JC

Geo_jak