SABLE.LOW ENGINE OPERATING TEMP.

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

Running at 2500 rpm for 15 min gets engine to 190 but engine won't warm up above 160F under normal driving conditions. New thermostat. New temp sender. Gauge tests ok. Coolant level ok. Cause?
Peter

Whats the mixture ratio of coolant to water?

Bethnjeff
This a 24 v dohc type s engine. Antifreeze tests at -45 f. Is there a check valve or any thing else other than the thermostat? Peter

Peter
Normal coolant mixture is 50-50 for a regular winter climate. Does the vehicle throw enough heat in the passenger compartment? If so then I wouldn't worry about it running cool.

Lovescars
Thermostat may be new, but is it the right one? If you used a 180 deg. Thermostat, temps will never get to the right area. 195 deg. Thermostat is OEM for this car. Also if fan relays are bad and fans run all the time, this could be a problem. I would check rating of thermostat first though.

Napaguy
New thermostat is rated at 195. I have cardboard in front of the rad. The fans do not run all the time. There is not enough heat in the cabin. Lucky, we are having a mild winter. This problem started suddenly in november Peter

Peter
Some parts are mis-packaged even though you buy them new. You may very well have installed a 160 thermostat that was packaged in the wrong box. This does happen!
I suggest this because you say the engine is only heating to 160

Lovescars
Thermostat removed and tested, 195 f still not warming up. What else? Peter

Peter