GRAND PRIX BAD TRACTION?

1993 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a 1993 Grand Prix. 118000 Miles on it. I bought this car used. Really need some help to figure out my problem. When driving the car, the rear end swings to the left, and will swing back to the right making this car very difficult to drive. Have had the car for about 7 months now. It seems to only be doing it when it rains or snows. On dry pavement it seems fine Any ideas? Thanks
Robcet1

That sounds really weird and unsafe. There are a lot of reasons for a pull, the most glaring is something loose in the suspension or wheels.

Does the car set off kilt at all?

Do you hear any noises going over bumps?

Looking straight at the car from the front and then from the rear, do the wheel look tilted in or out at all?

These had rear disc brake problems with the calipers freezing up and also a transverse leaf spring in back that would eventually crack or break.

Get this looked at before an accident happens.

It does look a little like the rear Driver tire goes inward just a tad. I also noticed that my tire was completely bald and showing steel around the tire not on the outside facing, but the inside facing. Could this be it? Ive had bald tires before to where the steel comes out, but on the outside facing. Never have I seen it on the inside. Looked at the Passenger back tire and same thing. Thanks

Robcet1
That's a symptom of a bigger problem. That has to get taken care of. Setting that aside, you need to have the rear suspension looked at. There is something bent or loose I think. Comes back to my earlier statement. There is a suspension problem that is causing a toe-in condition. One wheel wants it to go left and then the other wheel wants it to go right is what you are feeling, and the rest of the time the wheels are dragging on the inside edge.

I'll have it looked at this week. Thanks, appreciate it.

Robcet1
I think I figured out the problem on my 93 grand prix. Had a friend look at it. 5 Lugs and 5 Studs. Im missing 2 lugs and 2 studs on the rear passenger side. Missing 1 lug and 1 stud on the driver side with one lug also stripped. Sound like the problem? Would that cause this? Thanks again for your help. Appreciate it Service Writer

Robcet1
I don't think so. Was the wheel actually loose? If so, then I'd buy that. Wheel studs and nuts wear out. They get their life shortened everytime they go on and come off. If the wheel was loose the movement could help snap them.

The thing that makes seem less logical is the problem isn't happening on dry straight roads.

Have you got the car off the ground yet? If you can get in the rear suspension area and take a few pics, we might be able to see something of value. I still think there is a bent or loose suspension problem at this point.

Which style rear suspension do you have?- The big difference that will be most obviuos is the coil spring or transverse spring.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_93gpcoil_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_93gptrans_1.jpg

Wheel was loose. Going to take it in to a mechanic Friday have susp looked at. Will post my results. Thanks.

Robcet1
Son of a gun! I'm surprized. Mostly at when you felt the problem. Curiousity has got me on this. That is probably the reason then!

Sorry man, been away for awhile. I figured out that the problem was caused by a broken trailing arm.

Robcet1