ACURA STARTING ISSUE - HELP

1992 All Other Makes All Other Models

Check the battery cable connections for corrosion at the battery and starter first. Check the ground connections from the battery to the frame and body.

Could be an ignition switch, lock cylinder, or both problem. Is the lock cylinder loose and sloppy?
Could be the starter relay.
Starter Relay-is on the rear center of the engine compartment, at the right rear of the heater unit.
Could be the starter solenoid.
Could be the starter.

This is the test procedure you need to follow.

With the key held in the start position test for 12 volts at the black and white wire going to the starter relay. No voltage = bad ignition switch. Voltage = next test.

With the key held in the start position, Check for voltage at the black wire coming off the clutch interlock switch. No voltage = bad swtch. Voltage = next test.

With the key held in the start position, Check for voltage at either the black and red wire coming off the relay to the starter or the black and white wire at the solenoid. No voltage = bad relay. Voltage = have starter and solenoid tested. Depending where you are located some parts houses offer starter/solenoid testing service free of charge.

The wire colors are from my book. No gaurantee they will match yours tho.

Good luck and let us know what you find. : )
Peppermrj

Greetings. I've got a '92 acura integra with 185K worth of miles. It's been a great car (and will be for awhile, I hope). My problem is intermittent, which makes it impossible to take to a mechanic. About every other week, I'll hop in the car and it won't start. The car has power - it's not an issue of juice. The lights on the dash come on, but I get nothing. (No clicking, no anything) I originally thought that my clutch switch was going bad, but the clutch switch is fine (it behaves differently if you don't have the clutch in). If you keep turning the key to the 'start' position, it will eventually turn the starter. Sometimes it takes 3 seconds worth of trying and sometimes it takes a couple of minutes. But it always eventually starts. And once it turns the starter, it starts and runs beautifully. I'm assuming the issue is either the starter relay, main relay, or (less likely) the starter itself. Can you discern which it would be and the location of such relay if that is what it is? Your help is most appreciated - I learned a great deal from reading through the forums about my car. Thanks!

Acura92_92

Could be the starter relay.
Could be the starter solenoid.
Could be the starter.

Peppermrj
Oops. Welcome to the froum. : Oops:

Peppermrj
: : : : : : : : : : : Keep clear of any possible moving engine parts in case you motor decides to start unexpectedly.
: : : : : : : : : : :

Peppermrj