DELTA 88

1987 All Other Makes All Other Models

I went to get gas, filled up, then pulled up to the front to go in to pay. When I came back out the Car wouldn't start. It will turn over like it is going to start but won't. It back fires through the trottle body. I have replaced the spark plugs and then was checking to see if they all fired. One in the back in the middle didn't fire. I took the ignition module to have it checked and it showed to be good. Had it checked on a computer and it shows no codes. Is this the timing or the Electronic control module? And is this worth fixing or is it time for a new car??
This is on a 1987 Delta 88
Thanks for your help!
Robun

Depends on the cost of the repair and the overall mileage/condition of the car.

A good read. http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/car_cranks_but_wont_start.htm

Timing is not adjustable.
The computer would not just fire one plug.

A backfire thru the intake can be caused by a slipped/broke timing chain set, hung or burnt valve/s, leaky fuel injector, or an incorrect firing order.

Some things to check.
Have a compression test done.
Coil, their terminals, their connections, their mountings.Can you swap coils and see if the problem follows the coil.
Are the plugs wires run properly?
Are the plug wires good?
Crankshaft position sensor.
Camshaft position sensor.

It is never simple. :(

Good luck and let us know what you find. :)

Peppermrj
Hey try the GM section. Might get a few more ideas/opinions. : Idea:

Peppermrj