QUESTIONS FOR ALL OTHER CARS BAD COMPRESSION

1985 All Other Makes All Other Models

1985 Questions for all other cars

I have a Vetus 2cyl 10 hp diesel in a boat. Bad compresion on cly2. I took the head off and turned it upside down and poured gas over the valves. Only exhaust valve from cyl2 leaked through. The surface roughness in cly2 area and valves looked different, more " pitted". I poured oil into the open cylinders and no apparent seapage past rings after more then 2 hours. Can I assume the valve was the problem and not bother taking the rest of the engine out of the boat to do a ring job--a really big job?
Vetus

Hi vetus,

From the data provided, I would go for the valve job only. Diesel engines seldom have ring problems.

If you had performed a wet test before removal, that would have provided more info to determine if the rings need any work on it.

Valve pitting are usually caused by insufficnet valve clearance so remember to set them correctly.

Our database solely deals with cars so I am not able to provide the valve clearance specifications and our assistance are limited.