ALPHA ROMEO DROVE 20MINS WITHOUT ENGINE OIL

2002 Alfa Romeo 147

Noises problem
2002 Alpha Romeo 147 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 41000 miles

hi

two weeks ago ive hit a pevment and my sump (oil pan) got a hole inside it didint know I was leaking oil antil I felt that the car was loseing prformance like it wasent geting to much gas and plus I drove it on a hill which climd it hard and then ive stoped after driveing it for 20mins ralesed sumting was wrong checked the dip stick had a very small amount of oil in it so I had to call recovery. Today ive managed to get a new sump and put it on and started the car every thing was normal, the engine gos normaly nathing wrong with it but could you tell me wat checks shud I do how would I know if anyting happed to my pistions, piston rings or valves
IboT

Hi there,

It sounds as if it was your lucky day, with even a small amount of oil showing on the dip stick is usually enough to save the engine from serious damage, what you should have done was removed a few bearing caps when the sump was off as this is where most of the damage would occur if you ran seriously low on oil.

Mhpautos