AUTOMATIC WINDOW GETTING STUCK + SIDE MARKER

2004 Acura TL

2004 Acura TL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

I'm having a problem with the front passanger side auto up window. Specifically, there are times when the window will partially roll up, then stops, then goes back down. This only happens when using the auto up button. If I manually hold the window up button, the window rolls up fine. This problem does not happen all the time. I'm thinking some type of sensor in the door. Any help would be appreciated.

Second, the right side side markers are popping off my TL. When I took a look at the side markers, it appears as though they are held in place by plastic clips which are on the side markers. The side markers are not broken. It just looks like the clips on the side markers are worn down a little. Is there a way I can fix the clips? My side markers are smoke color and expensive from the dealer. I'd rather fix them if possible.

Thanks!
Ryan
RMF

Hi RMF,

The auto up function is equipped with a pinch sensing system which is designed to reverse its movement if there are any restriction when the glass is moving up.

Check the door glass runnchannels. If glass runchannels are dirty or hardened, they would restrict the glass movement. Some silicone spry or waxed based lubricants might help to eliminate the problem.

For the side markers, if the clips are worn, get some masking tape to stick to the edges on the fender where the marker clips on to provide better grip for the clips.

Thank you! I'll pass this information on to my service shop. Hopefully the problem can be fixed quickly.

On the topic of side markers, since the markers are clipped to the side of the car, is there a chance that water can leak through to the inside and hurt the car?

Thanks!

RMF
The fenders are not designed to be waterproof and water can get behind it so there is nothing to worry about.

So I took the TL to my repair facility. The technician told me that the reason the auto up function is not working properly is because of my aftermarket tinted windows. He said that when the tint was installed, small brushes inside the door that are used to remove dirt or something were removed. He said this is why the auto up function does not work all the time. Does this make sense? The other front window is tinted and I've never had a problem with the auto up? The technician told me he cleaned the track and lubricated the parts inside the door. Any suggestions? I'd really like my auto up windows to work. Should I go to Acura?

RMF
What did he use to lubricate the runchannels and does it work?

It is possible for the tint film to affect the door glass movement and if lubricating with silicone worsk, at least temporarily, the yu need to have a look at the runchannels.

If oil based lubricants had been used, the runchannel would be sticky and heavy fot the window. Replacement of the runchannel is the only option.

I don't know what lubricants were used to clean the runchannels. All I know is that the problem is not fixed. The tech said the problem would persist because of the tint. My other window is tinted and the auto up works fine. Not sure what to do. Should I get those brushes put back onto the door? Do you think I should replace the runchannel?

RMF
The tint is not the main problem but if the installation was bad, it can cause problems over time.

The small brushes mentioned meant the runchannel is worn and would stick. I would suggest replacing it.

So, are you suggesting that I replace the runchannel? I also read that it could be the window regulator. I cleaned the runchannel out again this past weekend. I got a lot of black dirt out of it. I did not yet lubricate the runchannel. What type of grease should I use? Where can I get this grease?

As I said before, this only started to happen. The other auto window is tinted and the auto up works fine. This tells me that it is not the tint, but something else.

Last, do you know of a good repair facility in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles?

RMF
Use a silicone or waxed base lubricants. NEVER use oil based lubricants. Rubber treatment fluids works pretty well. At the parts store you should be able to get them easily.

If the runchannel works after lubricating it then it can rule out the possibility of the motor being the fault.

Have you tried to reset the motor?

Sorry, I am not located anywhere near LA so is unable to provide any recommendations.

I have not tried to reset the motor. How do you do that?

When I get the silicone or waxed base lubricant, should I put a little in the runchannel and then move the window up and down to spread it through the channel or should I directly apply the lubricant throughout the entire channel?

Thank you!

RMF
Page 1 of 2