Mechanics

DIED AFTER GETTING WET!! HELP

Acura RSX

I just bought an 03 Acura RSX Manual 5 Speed - four wheel drive with 21,000 miles and a clean repair record (so they told me). It drove fine for 14 days until I took it to the automatic car wash. After the sprayers went over it, it barely started and began to make a small rattling sound. As the day went on, the rattling got louder and the car started to loose power (greatly!) When you hit the gas. When I pulled it into the dealer, it died and wouldn't start (it wouldn't even turn over and try to start). Can water from a power wash seep into something? Do I have a loose seal somewhere that stopped the car from getting power and eventually killed the battery. Or do you think I bought a lemon?

Thank You
Avatar
Benfremar
August 26, 2007.




There are a number of things that can be affected by the water. Did you wash the engine? You mentioned that the battery died or was drained. Can you pinpoint the problem to the alternator? Check the voltage at the battery when you get it started. 12 volts and under is not right.

Bruce Hunt
Aug 29, 2007.
A late response. But honestly, I don't think it's the battery. It sounds like a hydrolock damage, but auto car washes do not spray water under body enough for the car to hydrolock. Do you have any aftermarket intake? Or did it have it before you bought it? If it doesn't, check the driver-side fenderwall to see if there is any cut-out hole. If there is one, then there was an aftermarket cold air intake, increasing the possibility of previous hydrolock damage and now you're facing that problem. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that
AD

Tiny
Minoupak
Dec 29, 2007.

AD