MODELS CAR STARTS SOMETIMES

1990 Acura Other

1990 Other Acura Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

my son has this car that he can get in the car and it will start up then he can get in it and all it will do is crank over.I put new wires and distributor cap and plugs in it and a new fuel pump and does the same thing any help would be appreciated
Mikeosos

When this happes, have you been able to check to see if there is spark and fuel making it to the engine? Chances are one will be missing. Let me know what you find. Also, if you need " How To" information for either procedure, let me know.

Thank you for your reply, this evening I put a fuel filter on thinking it could be pluging up and now I can't get fuel to the filter and I can hear the pump run for 1 or 2 sec when I turn the key over I am baffeled am I supposed to prime the filter?

Mikeosos
The filter doesn't need primed. It sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. What I recommend doing is checking for fuel pressure before the filter. You will need to get a "T" to place between the filter and fuel line so you can attach a gauge. Here is a How To for checking fuel pressure:

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Let me know what you find. Keep in mind, the pump may be running and still be bad.