EXHAUST BLOWING WHITE SMOKE

1998 Acura NSX

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Acura NSX 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

Topped my oil and anti-freeze levels off. Drove 500 miles. Parked car for a wk. Started the car today, blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. Let the car idle and warm up for 5 mintues before I drove, then drove 2 minutes. White smoke still appears. 80*F outside and is still raining out. Car is garaged. Any ideas? After the car cools off, I will check the fluid levels. Is it bad to drive the car if problem persists? Thanks!
Dlynes

Hi dlynes,

Depends on what is causing the white smoke.

If it is due to coolant losses, overheating would occur and further driving would cause more damages to the engine assy.

If it is bluish smoke, then it might be oil consumption, you can continue driving as long as the oil level is kept correct.

I think that if you change the oil and inspect it that might tell you a lot. Look at the oil if you see water or foam then it might me a blown head gasket. In cases like this it is important to get some testing done. Check how low your coolant is after every time you drive that will help you know whether the coolant is leaking into the combustion areas. Look around the head you know where the head bolts to the block and look for yellow or green seepage or stains and touch it and smell it. White smoke means you are burning coolant with gas. That is a blown head gasket. Park the car and change the gasket if it is a lot of white smoke all the time you drive. A little white smoke at a cold start up in a cold place is normal for a few minutes. David Newton please donate $5 if this helped you

Zaopc22