TIMING BELT

1999 Acura Integra

1999 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170 miles

I recently replaced my water pump which includes removing and replacing the timing belt. I didnt realize that you had to positon the TDC correctly before installing the timing belt. I put the timing belt back on and put everything back together without trying to adjust the TDC. When I started my car the ideling was off and the rpms were highs it does drive and when I use the breaks the car feels like it wants to stall and pulls like it wants to go. My question is how do I fix the problem can readjusting the timing help. How would I know if I have valve damage or could it be the spark plugs im not sure what I should do without having to bring it to a shop.
Saundrap721

Hi saundrap721,

If you did not turn the cam or crankshaft when the timing belt was out, it most probably would be off by a tooth or teo. This should not cause any damage to the valves and reinstalling the the timing belt correctly should solve the problem.

Remove the upper timing cover and check the timing as per diagram.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_TimingMark99Civic_1.jpg