READING CODES PO170 AND PO172 FUEL TRIM

1998 Acura Integra

Computer problem
1998 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 122, 00 miles

I changed the spark plugs last night and took the cold air intake that was on the car off. This was on it when I bought it. I put a normal short ram on it like my other cars. Because I didn't want to chance getting any water in the intake manifold from the cold air intake. I ran it last night to check and see if it made a diffrence and it did not make a diffrence at all. So I think you may be right it may be that the timing is off just a tad. Only being it will start ok, but idles, horribly, car shakes and all one it is warmed up it's a little better but still has hesitation, and when given gas it stuters horribly, and it seems like it is slowly getting worse. The spark plugs I removed looked actually normal, all cylinders looked good. Looked like normal operation, may be running a little lean not sure it had just a slight tan to the ends. But were not wet at all. Which to me makes not sense if the computer is saying it's system is too rich and trim malfunction. Both Bank 1 also, so I believe that is the passanger side? I don't know how to adjust the timing on it, should I just break down and take it into the shop even though I don't really have the money right now to fix it. Please let me know what you think, Thanks so much. Kevin
Sampsonracing1

1998 Acura Integra Reading codes PO170 and PO172 fuel trim

Rich fuel condition: Possible causes include a bad O2 sensor, excessive fuel pressure (bad fuel pressure regulator or plugged return line), leaky fuel injectors, dirty air filter or restricted air inlet, or a defective coolant sensor that prevents the engine management system from going into closed loop mode.

How to check ignition timing. However, your issue may sound like a cam timing issue. To check this you must remove the valve cover first and the upper timing cover. Once that is done, I would also remove all the spark plugs to make turning over the engine a lot easier. Set the crank pulley to 0BTDC (white mark) and look at the your cam gears. They should line up with their marks.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

If you need further instructions or guidance, let me know.

F4I_guy