ENGINE VIBRATION

1998 Acura Integra

1998 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 380000 miles

I just rebuilt the engine in my integra using the Helms manual. When I pulled the pistons I did not keep track of them and got them mixed up. So I installed them back in, in any cylinder. The engine was honed and the pistons are the same oem, I used after market main bearings, rod bearings and rings. I so far have 800 miles on it, mostly highway miles (found out that constant speeds are not good for break in, too late) anyways I have a high frequency vibration, that I am picking up from the engine. Could this be from mixing the pistons up and maybe the engine is out of balance or should I look elsewhere? I did a compression check even though the engine has only 800 miles since rebuild and have 125 psi in all cylinders.
Dgie

Hi dgie,

125 psi is too low for the engine.
The vibration should not be from the mixup of the pistons, I would suspect impropr valve timing, cause by wrong camshaft timng when installing the timing belt.

Thanks for the response, I have around 800 miles on it since rebuild and mostly highway miles. Could this have given me a bad break in? Or will the compression get better the more I drive it? If not do I need to re-hone re- ring the motor and start over?

Dgie
No, I would not recommend honing the cylinders.

Do a wet compression test and see if the compression increases.

If you had the vibration after the rebuild, I would suggest checking the timing belt synchronization of the crank and cam shafts.

Check the ignition timing too. Is there any power loss compared to before rebuild?