COOLANT LEAK

1998 Acura Integra

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 157003 miles

My '98 Acura Integra Leaks Coolant by the timing belt and alternator, can't really see whrer exact cuz the alternator is in the way, but its leaking for sure. I just replaced the alternatir and right front axel. The symptoms are when I drive it, there white smoke coming from the tail pipe, and the sweet smell of exhaust, and after I take it for a 5 minute drive, less than 10 hours, it leaks alot of coolant. It does not overheat, its. It does have a bad radiator cap dry from the radiator, which im gonna fix soon, and it does not have a reservoir tank. It could be alot of things, but I can't narrow it down to 3 possibilities. WHAT COULD IT BE?
Jaygee187

Hi jaygee187,

The water pump is located at the described location. That is the most likely cause of coolant leak.

A recovery tank is mandatory as it helps to maintain the coolant level in system. Without it, air would be sucked into system and over time, the coolant level would drop and running with insufficient coolant would result in overheating and damaging the radiator. Steam has a higher temperature than coolant and would crack the top tank.